Thursday, March 24, 2011

Not a false alarm and more

Here is the Superbaby arrival rundown. I have been asked by so many people so I feel like it is blog worthy (and I was having blog withdrawals because I am not coordinated enough to do it on my phone and hated to ask Mike to bring me my laptop-although I really needed it yesterday but more on that in a minute).

Sunday during church I started having contractions (slight previous fear of my water breaking in church and the deacons having to carry me out like Cleopatra or something but I went anyway because I missed last week). Ok so contractions started getting stronger, I keep waiting for appropriate times to leave to run to the bathroom in fear of my water breaking. Nothing but contractions. I told Mike something didn't feel right and I was going to call the doctor but wanted to eat lunch because I knew they wouldn't let me eat when I got there. I was super thirsty so we went to Arbys. Still had contractions but I just kept putting the call off. I didn't want to go for a false alarm and waste our afternoon. I told him let's just go home and let me lay down because they will ask that and see what happens. I waited about 45 mins and finally decided to call the doctor because I was still having contractions. They told me to come in so we dropped the girls off with Barbara and Kevin and we headed to the hospital-for what we both felt like was a false alarm. I knew something was happening but wasn't sure of what and felt like my contractions would stop as soon as I got there. I had 6 contractions before we got to the hospital and the last one was very strong when I got off the elevator. Still I figured-false alarm, they will stop once the monitors are on. So we go back and get hooked up and well, there is a part here I will skip b/c I am not sure how much details I should give out. Mike and I found it funny at the time and it still is but maybe that should be left for a private conversation. Anyway, I started out not in labor to pretty much in labor within 2-3 hrs. So the nurse is going back and forth calling the doctor about what to do and there are talks of c-section tonight. Mike and I are still cautious and think-false alarm. Finally the nurse (who learned to give ivs from Aiden, if you don't believe me you should see the bruise on my arm) calls the doctor and they decide and I quote "you are having a c-section in 30 mins". Now that does not give you much time to prepare but Mike started calling everyone and Daddy just happened to be at his old house and got there first (he had also called while I was in the room and I told Mike to not answer because I didn't want to have everyone at the hospital for what was going to be a false alarm). So anyway, Mike is coming back and forth telling me who is there, etc and I am now prepped and ready to go to the OR. I get in the OR and ask how long it takes (I know nothing of c-sections at this point) and they say from the time you enter the room to the end is one hour. Mike is allowed back in and within a minute, Lucas is born-I think he was 4 lbs 11 oz and 17 1/2 inches long and then one minute later Easton came out butt first-he was 4 lbs 9 0z and 17 inches long (I really need to confirm this because there has been so many weight changes this week that I am not entirely sure who weighed what). Mike was so proud when his boys were born-I only wish I had a picture of his scrubs and cap because it was funny. So Mike goes off with the boys to the NICU and I am left to be fixed up and put in a room. The initial info on the boys was they were oxygen hoods and they would be there two weeks from birth but.....they are very tight lipped in the NICU and they also have a lot of rules so I really don't know. I do know in these last few days they have improved a lot. Their initial problem was just fluid on their lungs and now it is is a matter of eating, temp, gaining weight. and breathing without help. Both boys are doing great and although we did not get to hold them today (the day I did get to hold Lucas I was so excited) we can go back tonight and hold them. They will hopefully have their ivs out tonight because they are going thru them like crazy and the nurses are out of veins and they were supposed to get a bottle today. I think that is the hard part for me is not being able to feed or change them. I was a little upset leaving today but just reminded myself we are going back tonight (at least one of us will-not sure if we both will yet) and tomorrow and Saturday and well everyday until they come home. I figure Lucas will come home first but I would like them both to come home. I really don't want to post pictures yet because it kinda bothers me that their first pictures are with wires and stuff all around them and now they are in the incubators and while that is a step up, it looks like a step down to me. Easton has a nurse that he throws a fit with and then gets the whole nursery going. He hates a bath-it seems more than Lucas-and when he hears her coming he stops kicking and playing and throws a fit. Oh Easton...what a future we have. Evan wants more pictures so maybe tonight I will brave it and take more and then maybe tomorrow I will brave it and put pictures on here. Mike is also very excited that Easton has the "freeman trait" crooked pinky finger and it looks like Lucas might have it too. Apparently that is a big thing to him. I just always thought he broke his pinkies and they were crooked.

We have the girls home and although I was very worried Aiden would miss me I think they enjoyed their vacation. I know they have come out with at least a new dress and pair of shoes each. I haven't unpacked anything yet so I am not really sure what all they had. Evan told Karen she needed new shoes because she did not have any tennis shoes that fit-well that was a lie but she got some new ones anyway and they are really cute. Looked very cute with her dress Gigi bought her the day before. And Aiden told me today that I did not tell her goodbye before I left her and it made her sad and I had to tell her goodbye for now on. Yes I cried.

So that brings me to why I needed the laptop yesterday. Well I didn't so much need the laptop but anyway, we found out something yesterday about something that happened with the girls one night/day. I was prepared to really go into detail here but it really upsets me to think of the "event" which is what I am calling it for now, so I will tell you what happened to make me want to blog or share. I am sitting in the hospital bed, bawling my eyes out, blaming myself for not being able to take care of /protect my girls during the "event" and I had just opened the blinds, it was very cloudy out and my room looked out over the expressway (I actually felt like it was on the expressway in the mornings) and out towards UAB. So it was very cloudy, I was very upset and all by myself and all of a sudden the sun started getting brighter and brighter and brighter until it was like it was only shining on me and then I had this feeling like God was speaking to me and told me that just because I wasn't there to take care of them and protect them that He was there and He took care of them during that time. (The sun went away soon after that) I am tearing up just thinking about it. I don't know how God speaks to everyone else and to be honest this time was a little different for me but I know at that moment that He was telling me they were ok. Now I am still highly upset about the whole thing but the peace He gave me at that moment was what I needed. He has been with us all week, from the intial trip to the hospital to our babies and their progress and then this. I could not have made it through this week without Him and our friends and Gigi and Karen and Paw and Erin.