Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Friends

I have had a lot of blog posts on my mind lately. That happens when you have long periods of not sleeping in the middle of the night. However, I am usually too tired to blog about anything in the wee hours of the morning so I don't ever get to it. One of the things I have been thinking about is how much I love my church family and Sunday School class. I grew up in a church with a very small children's dept. In fact, there were about 10 of us that you could say made up the entire group our whole childhood. So when Mike and I were engaged we were both members at different churches. One of the things that we both agreed on was that we wanted a church for our family to grow. We wanted a church that our kids would not be the only ones there every Sunday and would not be the bulk of the children's dept (he also went to a church with a small children's dept-ok both churches were small). We were already visiting UHBC because he was building the house and it was closer and I really didn't have a church at that point but we didn't actually join until after we were married and Evan was about 9 mths old, so two yrs later I guess. But we never went to Sunday School. Why? Well because I was against Sunday School. I had burned in the past because being a small church everyone knew everything about you and Sunday School ended up being more of a gossip time than a Bible Study time. Finally, after about 4 yrs maybe of just going to "big church" we started going to Sunday School and then our classes changed/combined/moved around and now we are in a great class with a great group of people. And it is so far off from what I grew up in and I love it. We have all become really good friends which to me is a big deal, I don't make friends easily. I am jaded and cautious-Mike would befriend a brick wall if he could but I am not like that. I have just been burned by too many people so for me to be able to call a good portion of these people friends is HUGE. I love that we are not just friends inside the church walls but we are friends outside as well. I know they are there if we need them and vice versa. Our kids are friends, they all get a long with each other, it is just a good feeling. I also love where our church is going but that is another post for me to ponder over.
This post may just be me rambling and may be hard to follow so let me sum it up. I am thankful for my church family and friends. And if you too have been "burned" by something that happened at church or someone at church, take another chance and try again. You might just like the outcome.