Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Garden Update: Squash Bugs

Last year I discovered a critter which I named "the squash bug". During this time CAR discovered "the squash bug" on her squash so I realized this was not just a "being out in the middle of a pine tree plantation kind of thing". I used Sevin Dust to rid myself of the little critters and honestly had forgotten about them until early last week I believe. They are back and in full force. So to the store I went today to get my Sevin Dust magic. I had not wanted to put anything on any of our plants because Aiden likes to eat the tomatoes as she finds them but thankfully no critters on those plants so just the squash were sprinkled today. The bottle claims it kills or deters five different insects. Not knowing if my squash bugs were one of these since I did not know what they were actually called I decided to chance it until I could google it. So I sprinkled the leaves and the bugs ran off and then I came in and googled "bugs that live on squash plants". And what do you know (or if you are Aiden "whattayaknow") they are indeed called squash bugs. And apparently there is nothing to kill them once they have hatched but you can put a piece of shingle or board under the plant and step on it and squash the squash bugs dead. I don't remember them doing this last year, but according to the site they will kill your plants. Oh joy!

Here is the website in case you are interested: http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/plant_pests/veg_fruit/hgic2207.html

So how much have we harvested? Well we have squash running out of our ears. Had I not cooked squash (Evan has decided she likes fried squash) twice we would now have two gallon freezer bags. WAYYY more than last year. Six plants are quite productive so next year we may go with 12. Yes double our harvest-hopefully. Before we went to the beach I think I picked two squash, when we came back Friday I picked 6 or 7 and it has been pretty steady everyday. Usually anywhere from 4-6 squash a day but today I had about 8 because I didn't pick yesterday. I am a little upset with my tomatoes because they will not ripen. I have a ton-A TON-of tomatoes out there teasing me but they will not ripen and I am not patient. Our garden spot this year is both a blessing and a curse-a blessing that I can see everything and determine when I need to go out and do something and it is near a water source and a curse because I see the tomatoes sitting on the plants just as green as they can be. But when they do ripen, I should have a nice stash. I may even can them but I have not decided yet. Canning is so hot-and not in the good way. All but one of my 14 plants (yes 14) have either a bloom or fruit on it. The peas and okra are starting to look hopeful and the watermelon and canteloupe. I replanted the corn for the last time and I don't have much hope for it. Next year we are already planning on going bigger. I even have plans of trying pumpkins again this year. And I think we may have a fall/winter garden. I really want to keep this area "garden ready" all year so next year we will be ready.

I hope if you have a garden this year that you have not met the "squash bug" but if you have, I hope the link that I listed will give you an idea of what you are up against.


Oh and on another note: I am considering posting on the "family site"pictures of the boys and stuff. I am having a really hard time with this decision because I can't protect it like I want. I don't want everyone and their brother looking at pictures of my kids but I feel bad that the boys are not on there and that eventually I want to make their book too. Decisions, decisions.